Updated: Mar 24
As people age, they tend to experience a decrease in independence. This can lead to feelings of depression, lowered confidence, and an overall sense of helplessness. Therefore, it is important to help aging loved ones remain as independent as possible - for as long as possible.
Providing emotional and practical support can ensure that aging individuals maintain a sense of autonomy and purpose. This can be done by allowing them to help around the house, providing them transportation, assisting with medical appointments, and ensuring their safety at home.
Here are 7 important tips to help your loved ones maintain their independence.
1. Keep them active: Regular physical activity can help seniors maintain and improve strength, flexibility, and balance. Encourage them to get at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five days a week. This is something you can do together!
2. Eat healthily: Eating a balanced diet that is low in fat, sugar, and salt is key for maintaining good health. Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins in their diet.
3. Maintain strong networks: Having strong relationships with family, friends, and neighbors can help seniors stay healthy and independent. Make sure they stay connected with loved ones.
4. Make use of home safety modifications: Homes that are well maintained and have safety modifications, such as non-slip floors and grab bars in the bathroom, can help seniors remain safe and independent. Contact Affirmation today if your loved one could benefit from a home safety assessment.
5. Keep them engaged: Keeping a positive attitude and engaging in social activities can help seniors stay healthy and active. Look for activities that they enjoy and that are tailored to them, such as a local senior center, church, or walking group. We offer personal care services that can be a great solution for companionship and activity.
6. Look after their mental health: Good mental health is just as important as physical health. Make sure they are getting adequate sleep, and practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation. Talk to a mental health professional if needed.
7. Stay on top of medications: Staying on top of medications can help seniors remain healthy and is especially important for those with chronic illnesses. Make sure they take their medications as prescribed, and if you have any questions, speak to your doctor. Affirmation offers Medication Management services to ensure medication schedules are followed.